Researchers Swallow Lego To Calm Parents That It Will Eventually Be Eliminated


It’s all for science. Six researchers in Australia and the U.K. have swallowed a lego head and then recorded how long it took to eliminate it back out.

The average time was about 1.71 days, according to the study that’s been published in the latest edition of the Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health.

They did this in order to reassure parents that the lego piece will eventually come out of the organism.

“A toy object quickly passes through adult subjects with no complications. This will reassure parents, and the authors advocate that no parent should be expected to search through their child’s feces to prove object retrieval,” the authors wrote in the study.

According to research, coins are the most commonly swallowed foreign objects by kids. Small toys are the next common thing that the little ones usually swallow, and there’s too little data on these, compared to transit time when a coin is involved.

Swallowing lego is still not safe

Researchers swallowed the legos just to check how long does it take for it to come out. In this case, it was a lego head that they swallowed.

“We all know corn kernels can whip through the colon in seemingly no time at all, but what about a little yellow piece of plastic? There was really only one way to find out,” the authors said.

“Hopefully there is more conversation and awareness of foreign bodies, and a reassurance for parents that, for small foreign bodies, they aren’t advised to search through the stool,” researcher Grace Leo told the Guardian.

Anyway, all of this does not mean that swallowing lego pieces in not free of danger.

Lego heads are small but lego is still listed as one of the major choking hazards at home for kids by the Canadian Paediatric Society.


Recommended For You

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *