Three Dead Following Ammonia Leak In Fernie British Columbia

Share

Emergency services confirmed Tuesday night that there were three deaths following an ammonia leak at an arena in the town of Fernie, British Columbia.

Ted Ruiter, Fernie’s fire chief, said his department responded to a medical call because of the leak just before 12:00.

The authorities were there on Tuesday night and several downtown homes and businesses had been evacuated near the Fernie Memorial arena.

City Mayor Mary Giuliano added that the city was experiencing blackouts and strong winds.

We have incredible winds. I never saw winds like that at Fernie.

Mary Giuliano, mayor of Fernie

The city has asked evacuated residents to register with emergency services located at the Seniors’ Center at 562 3rd Avenue. The fire chief estimated that 50 to 60 people had registered late in the evening.

WorkSafeBC British Columbia Workplace Health and Safety Agency said an investigation was underway and preliminary information indicated that three workers had been exposed to a gas leak. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police opened an investigation.

mm

Jasmine holds a Master’s in Journalism from Ryerson University in Toronto and writes professionally in a broad variety of genres. She has worked as a senior manager in public relations and communications for major telecommunication companies, and is the former Deputy Director for Media Relations with the Modern Coalition. Jasmine writes primarily in our LGBTTQQIAAP and Science section.


Share

Recommended For You

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *